Friday, March 12, 2010

Ode To A Saddle


Just look at this saddle. Look at it, won’t you? Go ahead, stare. Soak it in. Shiny, brass rails. Deep, brown leather. Thing of beauty. You’re not seeing it? Okay, I get it. You’re not an old school, cycling geek. Well I am, brother. And you’ll have to trust me, this thing is a doozy.

It’s the Cardiff Mercia saddle.

See if you can relate: take whatever thing that you’re really into, that you love, and make it shinier and richer in color and you’ll understand what I’m feeling.

Some hipster fixed-gear guys are into these leather saddles but I always have the feeling it’s just due to the aesthetics. The style. My love starts there, but goes deeper. The comfort. The way it gets more comfortable as it ages. And the patina? Heavens. I’ve been loyal to Brooks saddles and this is the first time I’ve strayed, but I’m an optimist and I feel that this will give me the same happiness.

I’ll stop my poetic waxing for now. But just wait until I get the new Nitto Randonneur Bike Rack that I ordered. I cannot promise that I’ll contain my excitement. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment